Friday, September 16, 2011

Caldo De Res, Beef Stew

I think the weather is getting perfect to start enjoying some dishes that are too hot for summer. My husband has asked me to make him some caldo de res, but since is been too hot I haven't made it. Well I think this week the weather is starting to cool off a little and since I started this week making soups, I decided to make this dish. So if I don't post for a few days is because I never been able to make just a little bit of caldo. This dish is not only very healthy, but is very easy to make since most vegetables are cut very large and is almost nearly impossible to mess it up.

Ingredients:
  • lbs Ox Tail
  • 2 lbs Boneless Beef Chuck Roast
  • 4 Garlic Cloves
  • 4 Fresh White or Yellow Corn
  • 4 Large Zucchini
  • 8 Large Carrots
  • 1/2 Cabbage
  • 1/2 Lb Green Beans
  • 1/2 Bunch of Cilantro
  • 8 Small White Potatoes
  • 1-8oz Can of  Tomato Sauce
  • Salt to Taste
  • Water, approximately 3 Gallons

Directions:

  1.  In a large pot place ox tail, garlic cloves, and water. Let it boil for about an hour.
  2. Chop chuck roast into about 2-3 inch pieces. Add to the pot and add some salt.
  3. When the beef foam forms remove it with a large spoon.
  4. Chop corn into 3 sections. Add to pot at the same time you add the beef chuck.
  5. Let it boil for 1-1.5 hours. Check the meat to see if tender. Add tomato sauce and cilantro to the pot.
  6. Cut potatoes in half and carrots into 4 pieces. Chop cabbage in half and use the bottom part where the core is. Chop the core into 4 pieces.  Add to the pot
  7. Chop zucchini into 2 inch rounds. 
  8. Break off the ends of green beans, they should snap if they are fresh.
  9. Once potatoes are almost done add green beans and zucchini.
  10. Taste to see if you need to add more salt.
Remember that when seasoning anything start with a little bit a time, is easier to add more if you need to than it is to take it away. Hope you enjoy this recipe, is great for when you are going to have family over. To finish it off I like to add some lemon to my bowl and some valentina sauce or chiltepin pepper to spice it up a bit. We also like to enjoy the caldo with corn tortillas on the side. Personally I like to take out some meat out and roll it into a taco so I can eat it along with the vegetables :)

No comments:

Post a Comment