Saturday, August 27, 2011

Tacos de Carne Asada

I think those who know me, know that my favorite food is carne asada. I like the meat to be seasoned with just salt nothing else. Just thinking about it makes my mouth water :) So when my husband suggested we make carne asada for dinner I immediately said yes! I think the pic above really shows how great they can be.

Ingredients:
  • 3 lbs Chuck Steak, Flank Steak, Chuck Steak or whatever is on sale :)
  • 3 tomatoes
  • 1/4 of a small head of Cabbage
  • 1 Avocado thinly sliced
  • 2 Lemons
  • Salsa (I'll post salsa recipes later)
  • Salt to taste
  • Flour or Corn Tortillas. 
Directions:
  1. Turn on grill. You want the grill to be nice and hot before  you put the meat. Meanwhile you can add the salt to the meat. Be sure to add salt just before you cook it, otherwise you will let the juices out of the meat and it will become dry.
  2. Put meat on the grill. If the meat is thinly sliced then it shouldn't take too long. You want a nice chard color on both sides. Turn meat only once.
  3. You can either cut it in small pieces (that is what I do for my kids), or you can put it in a pot in the middle of the table so everyone can grab a piece so they can build their own taco.
  4. Heat the tortillas on a griddle or on the grill. 
  5. Dice tomatoes, shred the cabbage, slice avocado thinly, and cut lemons into wedges. Today I forgot to buy some scallions, but they go great with carne asada. If you decide to make some. Wash them and cut off a bit from both ends and wrap them in aluminum foil and throw them on the grill. They will become a bit translucent once they are cooked.
  6. Now you are ready to build your tacos. The kids love to put some beans on the bottom then the meat, then their favorite vegetables. I like avocado as well as some salsa. 
Hope you enjoy this recipe. Is great for family gatherings, parties, cookouts, well in my opinion any time is good to have carne asada. 


No comments:

Post a Comment