Wednesday, August 31, 2011

Chicken Shish Kabobs with Saffron Rice

Today I had a craving for rice, so I started thinking what I could make to go with it. I looked in my freezer and I saw boneless chicken tights. I started to cook the rice and I remember I still have some saffron in the freezer as well so I decided to make saffron rice with peas. Now I had to figure out how to cook the chicken. I wanted to make a simple recipe but a great tasting one. So what is easier than shish kabobs? I took out and onion and a red bell pepper that I had left over from another recipe and voila! Today's recipe was a great summer dish, easy to make, and very colorful. Before I go on to the recipe, let me tell you my new favorite thing, Mahatma Jasmine Enriched Thai Fragrant Long Grain Rice. I love how the aroma just fills the house as it cooks. Is like a floral sweet flavor and makes me happy thus making cooking even more pleasurable.

Ingredients:

  • 1 cup of Mahatma Jasmine Rice
  • 1-1/12 cup of Water or if you have some Chicken Stock
  • 1/2 Cup of Frozen Peas
  • 1/2 tsp Saffron threads
  • 1.25 lbs Boneless Chicken Tights or Chicken Breast
  • 1 Red Bell Pepper
  • 1/2 medium Onion
  • 1 Lemon
  • Salt to taste
  • Lemon Pepper to taste
  • Bamboo Sticks
Directions:
  1. Place rice, water, and saffron treads on a pot and cook it over medium heat. Add salt to taste. Once the water starts to boil add frozen peas. Lower the temperature and cover it. Rice takes about 15 minutes to cook.
  2. Cut vegetables and chicken into about and inch squares.
  3. Start building the shish kabobs with red bell pepper, chicken, and onion. 
  4. Once you are done building the shish kabobs, turn on the grill. Once grill is hot, turn the temperature to medium. Season the shish kabobs with salt and lemon pepper to taste. Place them on the grill and keep an eye on them. 
  5. Cook shish kabobs for about 15-20 minutes. 
  6. Serve with saffron rice and a wedge of lemon. 

No comments:

Post a Comment